Genealogy Program Recordings
In 2021, librarian April Earle shared her best tips for staying organized and searching databases like Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org. In addition to dismissing some of the most common myths about genealogy research, she looks at the significance of census records, the importance of seeing the actual document, and uncovering the secrets in plain sight on passenger lists. April returned in 2022 to present a program on using the newly released 1950 Census records.
The New Jersey State Library also hosts a large collection of genealogy webinars (click to expand the ‘Research Methods: Genealogy and Local History’ box.
Books and Magazines
- Scotch Plains and other LMxAC libraries have many books geared to beginning and advanced genealogy researchers.
- Family Tree magazine is available for reading and download to your own device through the Libby app or the eLibraryNJ website. Topics include resource guides for specific ethnicities, technology how-to articles, history and genealogy news.
- You can also request books and articles through our interlibrary loan service.
Ancestry Library Edition has now resumed its previous status of in-library use only. You will be able to use Ancestry on our public computers or on any device connected to our wi-fi.
Fold3™ Library Edition by Ancestry provides convenient access to US military records, including the stories, photos and documents of the men and women who served. It contains millions of records from world-class archives, many of which are exclusively available on Fold3.
Search American genealogical sources—including unique primary documents, local and family histories, and finding aids, with coverage dating back to the 1700s.
The 1950 U.S. Census – the 1950 census records were released by the U.S. National Archives on April 1, 2022, and are now available for everyone to view on a free, dedicated website from the National Archives.
Search Proquest Historical Newspapers: New Jersey Collection for access to:
- Asbury Park Press (Asbury Park, NJ)—1905-2009
- Courier News (Bridgewater, NJ)—1891-2010 (1961-2010 available now)
- Courier-Post (Cherry Hill, NJ)—1949-2009
- The Daily Journal (Vineland, NJ)—1925-2011
- Daily Record (Morristown, NJ)—1974-2012
- Home News Tribune (East Brunswick, NJ)—1903-2009
- Plainfield Courier (Plainfield, NJ) -1891-1961
The NJ State Library has further guidance on using digital newspapers for genealogical research.
Local History Resources
Note: These sites are currently not available.
Digitized Local History Books – these books cover different aspects of Scotch Plains and Fanwood history.
Digitized Scotch Plains Fanwood High School Yearbooks – view the CULMEN yearbooks can from 1944 to 2000 (with the exception of 1943.)