Books and Magazines
- The Library has many books geared to beginning and advanced genealogy researchers.
- Family Tree magazine is available for reading and download to your own device through Flipster. Topics include resource guides for specific ethnicities, technology how-to articles, history and genealogy news.
Ancestry Library Edition can currently be accessed remotely:
- Scotch Plains cardholders can click here and
- Enter the first five digits of their library card number
- Click the Ancestry.com button
Search census, military, vital church, court, land and immigration records from many parts of the world. Looking for a quick answer to a genealogy research question? Watch one of Ancestry’s 5 Minute Finds videos.
HeritageQuest offers American genealogical sources—including unique primary documents, local and family histories, and finding aids, with coverage dating back to the 1700s. Note: This resource is temporarily available to all state residents, including those with no library card. All users should contact us here for an access code.
Search Proquest Historical Newspapers: New Jersey Collection for access to:
- Asbury Park Press (Asbury Park, NJ)—1905-2009
- Courier News (Bridgewater, NJ)—1891-2010 (1961-2010 available now)
- Courier-Post (Cherry Hill, NJ)—1949-2009
- The Daily Journal (Vineland, NJ)—1925-2011
- Daily Record (Morristown, NJ)—1974-2012
- Home News Tribune (East Brunswick, NJ)—1903-2009
- Plainfield Courier (Plainfield, NJ) -1891-1961
The NJ State Library has further guidance on using digital newspapers for genealogical research.
Local History Resources
The Joint Digital Archives of Fanwood & Scotch Plains –offers a collection of materials related to the rich history of the two towns. The Archives allow in-depth searching to support both research and browsing for pleasure.