This multi-year, pre-literacy program fosters a love of books and reading in children before they enter Kindergarten. Any Scotch Plains resident under the age of 5 is eligible to participate. Working at their own pace, the child has until they begin Kindergarten to reach the goal of reading 1000 books.
Stop by the library to sign up or visit ReadSquared.
How does the program work?
1. Register at any time at the Children’s Services desk in the library or online.
2. Record the titles of the books that you read to your child on your log.
3. Each time you complete 100 books, come into the library and you will receive a small prize.
4. When you reach 1000 books, your child will receive a certificate of achievement and an invitation to our annual celebration party in December. In addition, his or her name will be added to our Readers Hall of Fame.
How to reach 1000 books:
– 1000 books is not as daunting as it seems. If you read just 3 books a day, in one year you will have read 1,095 books! And you have until your child enters Kindergarten to complete the program.
– Repetition is key to learning. You may read the same book over and over again!
-You can read books from anywhere, not just library books.
– Each and every book your child listens to counts, including those read at library programs.
Most of all, remember to have fun!