Resources and news for you!
- Summer Reading Bingo: Read a Graphic NovelGraphic novels call for a whole different reading approach. The text is accompanied by illustrations that provide visual cues to enhance the story. You can find graphic novels that explore history (March, They Called Us Enemies), retell the classics (The Odyssey, Frankenstein), or share personal stories (Can’t We Talk About Something More Pleasant). If you haven’t added graphic novels to your reading repertoire, why not give one a try this summer?
- Summer Reading Bingo: Family TalesThe library has several ways for you to learn more about the past. You can research your family history with Ancestry Library Edition or HeritageQuest. These databases are usually only accessible inside the library building, but for now we’re able to make them available to library cardholders at home. Whether your family is from here or you just want to research New Jersey history, all you need is your library card to search Historical Newspapers: New Jersey Collection, with articles going back as far as 1891. You can also explore the Culmen yearbooks and several books about Scotch Plains and…
- Summer Reading Bingo: FreegalIf you’re a music lover who hasn’t tried Freegal yet, your ears are in for a treat. All you need is your library card to unlock 24/7 streaming music. You can stream one of their many curated playlists or create your own (we’d love it if you shared your playlist with us). You can also download 3 songs each week to your personal account, which is what keeps it free and legal. If you decide to take a walk while you listen, you can check off a second bingo square!
- Summer Reading Bingo: Share a book review with usWe’ve kept the adult summer reading program simple. Read a book, fill out an online form. At the end of the summer, we’ll select 7 random entries for our prize giveaway. Including a review on the online form is optional, but if you choose to share your thoughts with us, you’ll get to cross off this bingo square. We love to talk about books, but we also really enjoy hearing what you think of the books you’re reading.
- Summer Reading Bingo: Explore the Night SkyIt wouldn’t be summer without our Night Sky program, and this year we’ll get twice the fun! Our favorite astrono-educator, Bob Reichman, will present a virtual program and an in-person program in August. But you don’t have to wait for these programs to cross off this square – we’ve got lots of books that will show you what to look for up there. Start your search with Dewey numbers 520-523.
- Summer Reading Bingo: New Book NewslettersYou may be familiar with our Friday morning Adult Services email newsletter, which keeps you up to date on upcoming events and library service updates. We’re now developing a series of newsletters that will alert you to a selection of new books that we recommend in a variety of subjects, including Biographies & Memoirs, Cookbooks, General Nonfiction, Mysteries, and Historical Fiction. We’re open to new genres and subjects, so please let us know what you’d like to hear about! You can sign up for any of our email newsletters here.
- Summer Reading Bingo: Plan a vacation with a library travel guideVacations are finally something many of us are looking forward to, and the library has a collection of travel guides in our Non-fiction section (Dewey numbers 914-919) to help you decide where to go and what to do. Not quite ready to get away? You might still have fun planning a “someday” vacation or taking a virtual tour. Check out Great Tours in our Great Courses collection (including Kanopy’s Travel Photography course).
- Summer Reading Bingo: Borrow an audiobook from LibbyThe free Libby app from OverDrive is our source for ebooks and digital audiobooks. We belong to a consortium with libraries throughout New Jersey, but we also have a collection just for Scotch Plains cardholders, so there are plenty of titles to choose from. Audiobooks are great company when you’re doing chores, taking a walk or a drive, or working on your favorite craft project. If you’re able to take a walk with your audiobook, you can cross off two bingo squares!