We cannot currently provide public access to computers or printers.
Scotch Plains Public Library makes the Internet available as an information and educational resource in support of our role as the community’s information and lifelong learning center. In addition to Internet access, the PC and iMac workstations in the adult and children’s rooms also offer use of Microsoft Office products, including Word and Excel. Library patrons may also use their own devices to access the library’s wireless service. Please note that the library’s Internet computers and wireless service are available while the library is open until 15 minutes prior to closing.
Internet service may be used to access any resource, engage in any communication, or conduct any activity available on the Internet provided such activity can be done with standard web browsers, with these exceptions:
- Users may not send, receive, or display text or graphics that may reasonably be construed as obscene.
- Users may not use this resource for any illegal purpose.
- Users may not in any way alter, reconfigure, or damage the public access stations of the Scotch Plains Public Library.
- Users may not modify or gain access to files, passwords, or data belonging to others by seeking unauthorized access to any computer system, or damaging or altering software components of any network, host server or database.
In order to prevent viruses and protect the integrity of the workstations:
- Do not install software of any kind.
- Do not download any plug-ins.
- Do not save files to the hard drive. Files are erased each time the computer is rebooted. We recommend that computer users save their work to their own USB memory drives.
Limits and restrictions:
- Computer users must log in to terminals using a registered library card number. Guest passes can be issued for those who do not have a library card. Guest passes are limited to one per person per day.
- Time will be limited to one (1) hour when others are waiting and a maximum time limit per patron per day is two (2) hours.
- Terminals located in the Children’s area are reserved for use by children in grade 6 or younger and adults supervising young children.
- Children under the age of ten may use the computers in the Children’s Room only if accompanied for the entire period by a responsible adult or a caregiver over the age of thirteen.
Parents or guardians are responsible for the Internet information selected and/or accessed by their children.
The library shall have no liability for direct, indirect or consequential damages related to the use of information accessed through the library’s Internet service or for damages related to the operation of, or failure of, the filtering software, or for its circumvention by users.
The availability of information via the library’s Internet service does not constitute endorsement of the content of that information by the library.
The library is not responsible for damage to users’ disks or computers or for any loss of data, damage or liability that may occur from use of the library’s computers.
The Library reserves the right to terminate an Internet session for inappropriate and/or illegal usage, or if time limits are exceeded when others are waiting.
- Printing costs 15 cents per page for black-and-white and 40 cents per page for color.
- Please make use of the “Print Preview” screen before sending a print job to the printer. You are responsible for all of the pages printed while you are logged on. It is your responsibility to know what you are printing. If you are unsure of how to use the Print Preview screen, please ask the librarian.
- Some web sites offer a “Printable View” version of their pages that should be utilized whenever it is available. Please ask if you are unsure of how to use this feature.
- If you are printing a large PDF file, please send it to the printer 3 pages at a time. Large PDF files may cause the printer to stop working. Please ask the librarians for assistance.
- Earphones must be used for sound.
- Our terminals are unable to read floppy disks.
- We recommend using a USB memory drive to save your work. Terminals have USB ports for this purpose.
- The library’s Internet computers and wireless service are available while the library is open until 15 minutes prior to closing.