With your Scotch Plains Library card you can use our video resources to:
- study languages; get crafting instructions and inspiration; get homework help; prepare for college entrance exams; prepare for graduate and occupational exams; learn job search and workplace skills; learn computer, internet and software skills; and enrich your knowledge of many subjects!
Quick Links to our online video resources:
- The Great Courses on RBDigital / The Great Courses on Kanopy
- Mango Languages & Rosetta Stone
- LearningExpress Library
- Computer Skills Center
Full descriptions of our resources follow below–feel free to let us know if you have any questions!
Note: The Library no longer subscribes to Lynda.com. Please contact us if you have any questions regarding this resource.
The Great Courses
Are you out of school, but wished you had learned more about science, history, math, or philosophy? Would you like to improve your skills in a hobby like photography or cooking? The Great Courses (available from RBDigital or from Kanopy) has what you’re looking for!
See a list of available courses (pdf) organized by topic.
- Food & Wine: The Everyday Gourmet: Making Great Meals in Less Time
- Health, Fitness & Nutrition: How to Boost Your Physical and Mental Energy
Hobby & Leisure: Discovering Your Roots: An Introduction to Genealogy
History: History of the Ancient World: A Global Perspective
Literature & Language: How to Read and Understand Shakespeare
Mathematics: The Secrets of Mental Math
Music & Fine Art: The 23 Greatest Solo Piano Works
Philosophy, Religion & Intellectual History: The Big Questions of Philosophy
Professional: Outsmart Yourself: Brain-Based Strategies to a Better You
Science: The Inexplicable Universe: Unsolved Mysteries
Travel: The Great Tours: Experiencing Medieval Europe
Learning Express Library
Learning Express Library can take you from middle school through college and on to achieving success in your best career. It offers more than 1,000 tutorials, practice exams, and eBooks offering basic skills mastery, academic success, job preparation, and career advancement, and preparation for citizenship.
Learning Express is grouped into these categories:
- School Center: Skill-building resources for classroom and homework success in most subjects for middle school through high school.
- High School Equivalency Center: prepare for the GED® Test and the GED® en Español.
- College Test Preparation: tutorials and practice tests (including complete simulated practice tests) including ACT, SAT, PSAT, TOEFL and more.
- College Students: skills review and preparation for graduate school tests including GMAT, GRE, LSAT, MAT, and MCAT.
- Career Preparation: Start a new career or advance in your current field; prepare for entrance exams for Nursing, Health Occupations, and ASVAB, or for occupation exams in numerous fields, including Postal Worker, Teaching, Law Enforcement, and EMT.
- Job Search and Workplace Skills: learn to create your best resume and get interview tips.
- Adult Core Skills: review math, reading and writing skills, and prepare to become a U.S. citizen.
Computer Skills Center
A division of Learning Express Library, Computer Skills Center covers:
- Computer Basics
- Internet Basics
- Microsoft Software (Word, Excel, etc.)
- Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop
- Windows Operating Systems
Don’t struggle with homework! Tutor.com offers one-on-one help in 40 subjects including math, science, essay writing, foreign languages, social studies, test prep, and more with live qualified tutors. Improve your research papers, resumes, and test scores. You can even submit your essays for overnight feedback. Homework help operates from 3 p.m. until 10 p.m., 7 days a week
Tutor.com also offers the Princeton Review test prep resources for preparing for the SAT, ACT and AP exams, including timed full-length practice tests, detailed score reports, video lessons and practice drills.
You can also get help and study on the go with mobile apps for Tutor.com.
Do you want to brush up on your high school French, learn English, Urdu or Spanish, or one of dozens of other languages? Try one or both of our online language learning resources!
Mango also offers:
- Short specialized courses for specific needs or just for fun. You can learn the vocabulary for Job Seeking in English, order wine and cheese in French, or toss out some German at an Oktoberfest or some Irish on St. Patrick’s Day!
Rosetta Stone is a language resource provided by the NJ State Library that includes 30 different languages. Features include:
- 50 hours of foundational instruction
- Core lessons to build reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills
- Focused activities to refine grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation, and more
- A mobile app that enable learners to reinforce language on the go
Nurture your creative side! Creativebug offers more than 1,000 award-winning art & craft video classes taught by recognized design experts and artists. Learn on your own schedule! Creativebug has classes in art and design, sewing, quilting, paper, knitting, crochet, food and home, jewelry, and more!
Please let us know how these resources are helping you learn!