The Library wants to help you remain as active as is appropriate for you right now! We will add more resources as we identify them.
Gentle Fitness Online!
Were you looking forward to Yasmin Ofek’s monthly Gentle Fitness classes at the Library? Yasmin has kindly created and shared some video classes!
Yasmin’s classes integrate principles from the Feldenkrais Method, to help create a better connection between the brain and body—while also strengthening the muscles that keep the body upright.
- Visit Yasmin’s blog at Mind The Body for all of her online classes, including:
- Bending and Arching
- Strengthening Core Muscles
- Balance Lessons
Curious about Feldenkrais?
- You can try many free Awareness through Movement lessons (all audio) at the Feldenkrais Project.
- Feldenkrais with Alfons is a YouTube channel offering videos “with a little humor.”
- Zoe’s SOS offers free audio lessons, including 5 Quick Calming Strategies.
More Online Fitness Classes
- The Fanwood-Scotch Plains YMCA has a YouTube channel where you can find at-home workouts, including Yoga, Chair Yoga, HIIT, and Pilates classes from their instructors. The Y is also posting daily circuit workouts on their Facebook page.
- The JCC of Central NJ is offering a wide variety of Fitness and Wellness classes on YouTube, including Strength and Cardo, Kick Boxing, Workout with Your Kids, Yoga, and more.
- YMCA 360 is currently offering its online classes for free, including Bootcamp, Barre, Tai Chi and much more.
- Walk at Home with Leslie Sansone offers many varieties and levels of “anytime, anywhere” walking workout routines.
- Yoga with Adriene offers free yoga videos for all levels.
- HASFit (Heart & Soul Fitness) has an extensive collection of workout videos. Search and select by length, fitness level, workout type, muscle group, and equipment.
- Planet Fitness is sharing daily ‘Work Ins’ on Facebook, and through its app.
- Dancing Alone Together offers live-streamed dance classes and dance-making prompts
- Debbie Allen is holding dance classes on Instagram Live: “There’s a party going on in your living room, in your bathroom, wherever you are..!” Try the first class, then watch for live sessions Wednesday and Saturdays.
- Meditation: In Depth is an excellent overview of what meditation is and how it can help, from the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health.
- Lizzo has used her Instagram account to share “a meditation and mantra to promote healing during this global crisis. Use at your own pace.”
- Headspace, a subscription resource, is offering a free guided meditation collection (Weathering the Storm) through its app. Some short meditations can be played on its website.
- Many categories of Meditation Podcasts are collected in this article.
-Thanks to Boston Public Library for some of these resources!
The Great Courses on RBDigital
The Great Courses offers video classes on different health, fitness and nutrition topics. Scotch Plains cardholders can create an RBDigital account with your cardnumber and PIN and view the streaming video from any connected device.
- Essentials of Tai Chi and Qigong
- Essentials of Strength Training
- Yoga for a Healthy Mind and Body
- Masters of Mindfulness: Transforming Your Mind and Body