Election Day is November 3, 2020
Important sources of information:
- Voter Information Portal, NJ Division of Elections
- Union County Votes: Official Election Website of Union County
The following guide provides summary information largely from these sources.
The November 3rd General Election will primarily be held through vote-by-mail. Every active registered voter has been sent a ballot with prepaid postage in the mail.
Filling out your ballot:
See how it’s done! Union County Clerk Joanne Rajoppi demonstrates how to fill out your mail-in ballot in this 4 minute video). (Ballot instructions state that blue or black ink may be used.)
- View instructions for your mail-in ballot.
- Scotch Plains voters: View sample mail-in ballot for:
Submitting your mail-in ballot:
There are several options for returning your Vote-by-Mail ballot. You can:
- Return your ballot to one of the secure drop boxes throughout Union County by 8pm on Election Day. Boxes are open 24 hours a day, monitored by security cameras, and collected daily by county election officials.
- Scotch Plains location: Scotch Plains Public Library, 1927 Bartle Avenue, to the right of the Library entrance.
- The box is located OUTSIDE the Library and ballots may be dropped off at any time.
- Mail your ballot through the USPS on or before Election Day. Ballots will have postage prepaid. The USPS advises that you “check collection times posted on collection boxes and at Post Office™ locations and retail facilities…Ballots deposited after the collection time won’t be picked up, or postmarked, until the following business day. “
- Return your ballot in person to the Board of Elections office in Elizabeth or the County Clerk’s offices in Elizabeth or Westfield by 8pm on Election Day (In-person delivery requires a NJ driver’s license or NJ issued ID.)
- You may have someone else hand-deliver your ballot for you to these locations, but they must complete the “Bearer” information on the outside envelope in your presence, and they can only deliver up to three ballots including their own, or up to five ballots from the same household.
- Return your ballot to a poll worker at your designated polling location by 8pm on Election Day. If you choose this option, you will need to stand in line and sign the poll book.
Poll Locations will have provisional paper ballot voting only – except for ADA Compliant machines for the disabled. Only persons with disabilities will be permitted to vote on an ADA compliant voting machine.
Track Your Mail-In Ballot
You can track when the county clerks receive your ballot.
- Create your personal New Jersey Voter Registration System account information. You can also call your County Election Officials to track your Mail-In Ballot.