New Service: Browse, Borrow & Go!
On Monday, September 14, the Library began offering Browse, Borrow & Go hours by appointment for Scotch Plains and Fanwood library card holders. Patrons may browse the Library collections in order to select items to check out.
Contact-free pickup services will continue to be offered and remain the safest way to obtain your items; see below for more information.
In order to meet safety requirements, building capacity will be limited and patrons will be required to register for scheduled 30-minute time slots.
The following services will be unavailable:
- computers and printers
- the copy machine
- tables, chairs, and and study areas
- newspapers and on-site magazine use
As we move carefully into this next phase of re-opening, staff will be following rigorous safety protocols. In order to fully protect the community, library visitors will be required to adhere to safety guidelines as well. Please review these requirements before scheduling your visit.
Safety Requirements for Visitors
- Masks or face coverings which fully cover the mouth and nose must be worn for admittance into the Library and must be kept on at all times while on the premises.
- Social distancing must be practiced on premises, with patrons remaining at least 6 feet apart from each other and from staff.
- Access to any part of the building other than the adult, young adult, and youth services areas is not permitted.
- Patrons are not allowed to bring in food or drink.
- Patrons under the age of 12 years must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- You may not visit if you or any family member have COVID-19 symptoms
When You Visit the Library
- Bring your library card with you.
- Please arrive at the library no more than 5 minutes before your time slot. Maintain social distancing with others who may be waiting.
- You may enter the Library when a staff member has checked the list of scheduled visitors for your name.
- You may arrive at any time within your time slot but you must leave the library at the end of your scheduled session.
- Please sanitize your hands before entering the library—hand sanitizer will be available.
- You must use the self-service kiosk to check out your items. Staff will be on hand to assist if needed.
- You must leave at the end of your scheduled time slot.
Scheduling Your Library Visit
- Online appointments must be made at least one day in advance.
- If you need a same-day appointment, please call 908-322-5007, x204.
- Patrons may register for one visit of up to 30 minutes per day.
- Choose the number of “tickets” you need — one for each person in your group, including children.
- A group can include up to 5 people.
- Restrooms will not be available, so please plan accordingly.
- Visits are for browsing and borrowing only: computers, seating and study areas, printing and copying equipment, and newspapers will not be available.
If you don’t have an email address and would like to schedule a visit, please call 908-322-5007, x204.
Important Information about Overdue Notices
Please disregard any overdue or reminder notices you may receive for items that you recently returned to our book drop. This is happening because all returned items are being isolated for a minimum of 7 days before being updated to ‘returned’ in our system. Be assured that we are not charging overdue fines on any items at this time.
Contact-Free Pickup is Safe, Easy and Convenient!
How it works:
- This service will be available to Scotch Plains and Fanwood residents only
- Requests for materials can be placed online via the library catalog or by phone: call 908-322-5007.
- To place a hold online, use your library card number and PIN (the last four digits of the phone number you provided to us. Please see further instructions on placing holds here.
- You will be notified by email or by phone when your items are ready and you can call the library to schedule a pickup day & time. Pickup times are:
- Monday, Wednesday and Friday: 11am–1pm & 2pm–4pm
- Tuesday, Thursday: 2pm–4pm & 5pm–7pm
- Saturday: 10:30am–12:30pm & 2pm-4pm
- Once you’ve arranged a pickup day & time, your items will be available for pickup on a table near the library’s front entrance.
- The items will be in a sealed bag marked with your last name and first initial, checked out to you, with checkout receipt in the bag.
- Returns will ONLY be accepted in the exterior book drop, which is always open.
- Please observe social distancing rules when picking up or dropping off materials.
Other important information:
Please return items to our book drop
- Please return items that are property of the Scotch Plains Library only. Fanwood Library items should be returned to the Fanwood location. Watch this short video for a demo of how to tell which library your book is from!
- To return inter-library loans or items that do not fit into the book drop, such as learning kits, or if you cannot access our book drop, please contact the library via email or this form to arrange for return.
- All returned items will remain on your account for a minimum of 7 days while they are quarantined prior to check-in.
- We will not charge overdue fees while the building is closed to the public.
Information about library cards
- If your card expires during the closure (or was previously expired) and you need to renew it, please ask us for a temporary renewal with this form. Remember, your PIN should be the last 4 digits of your phone number.
- If you are a Scotch Plains resident but do not have a card, you may apply online for a temporary card that will give you access to our digital resources.
- We have extended the hours for the free ScotLib network, which is accessible from our parking lot area between 6am and 8pm.
Asking questions and getting help
- Staff are available to answer the phone (908-322-5007) at these times:
- Monday, Wednesday and Friday: 9am–5pm
- Tuesday & Thursday: 12pm–8pm
- Saturday: 9am–5pm
You may also submit your question through this form.
- All questions are welcome!
- Ask for troubleshooting help with our online resources
- Request suggestions on the right resources for you now, from online books and audiobooks to online learning resources
- Ask any general information questions
- Youth Services Support:
Explore our Online Resources!