The Library is currently providing contact-free pickup of books and DVDs.
We do not have a date at this time for the re-opening of the building to the public.
Important Information about Overdue Notices
We have been made aware that many of you are receiving overdue or reminder notices for items that you recently returned to our book drop.
This is happening because all returned items are being isolated for a minimum of 7 days before being updated to ‘returned’ in our system. In the meantime, the system may send out automatically generated notices to you. Please do not be concerned by these messages, and be assured that we are not charging overdue fines on any items at this time.
We are currently working to minimize the confusion being caused by these system-generated notices.
Contact-free checkout is now available!
Here’s what you need to know:
- This service will be available to Scotch Plains and Fanwood residents only
- Requests for materials can be placed online via the library catalog or by phone: call 908-322-5007.
- To place a hold online, use your library card number and PIN (the last four digits of the phone number you provided to us. Please see further instructions on placing holds here.
- There is a limit of 5 requests per card per day.
- You will be notified by email or by phone when your items are ready and you can call the library to schedule a pickup day & time. Pickup times are:
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday: 11am–1pm & 2pm–4pm
- Thursday: 2pm–4pm & 5pm–7pm
- Saturday: 10:30am–12:30pm
- Once you’ve arranged a pickup day & time, your items will be available for pickup on a table near the library’s front entrance.
- The items will be in a sealed bag marked with your last name and first initial, checked out to you, with checkout receipt in the bag.
- Returns will ONLY be accepted in the exterior book drop, which is always open.
- Please observe social distancing rules when picking up or dropping off materials.
Other important information:
Please return items to our book drop
- Please return items that are property of the Scotch Plains Library only. Fanwood Library items should be returned to the Fanwood location. Watch this short video for a demo of how to tell which library your book is from!
- To return inter-library loans or items that do not fit into the book drop, such as learning kits, or if you cannot access our book drop, please contact the library via email or this form to arrange for return.
- All returned items will remain on your account for a minimum of 7 days while they are quarantined prior to check-in.
- We will not charge overdue fees while the building is closed to the public.
Information about library cards
- If your card expires during the closure (or was previously expired) and you need to renew it, please ask us for a temporary renewal with this form. Remember, your PIN should be the last 4 digits of your phone number.
- If you are a Scotch Plains resident but do not have a card, you may apply online for a temporary card that will give you access to our digital resources.
- We have extended the hours for the free ScotLib network, which is accessible from our parking lot area between 6am and 8pm.
Asking questions and getting help
- Staff are available to answer the phone (908-322-5007) at these times:
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday: 9am–5pm
- Thursday: 12pm–8pm
- Saturday: 9am–1pm
You may also submit your question through this form.
- All questions are welcome!
- Ask for troubleshooting help with our online resources
- Request suggestions on the right resources for you now, from online books and audiobooks to online learning resources
- Ask any general information questions
- Youth Services Support:
Explore our Online Resources!