Resident of Scotch Plains
- Any resident of Scotch Plains may apply for a free library card. Proof of residence in the Township is required at the time of application. This may be a driver’s license, lease agreement, tax bill or utility bill with the address and name listed. Additional forms of identification may be acceptable if the information clearly determines address.
- Cards are issued for three years, at which time, the cardholder will be asked to reconfirm address and phone number for our records.
- Replacement cards may be obtained for a charge of $1.00.
- Juvenile residents must have a parent or guardian present identification and sign as the responsible party for any lost or damaged materials.
- Temporary cards will be issued for three months for those who are visiting the Township for an extended visit or work. A letter must be presented by a Scotch Plains resident affirming the temporary residence of the individual applying for borrowing privileges.
- Those who work or own a business within the township, and reside outside of our service area may apply for a courtesy card that is valid for one year or as long as the individual continues to work within the township. Proper home identification is required as well as proof of employment. This may be a worker’s ID, pay stub or a letter from the firm confirming employment.
- Residents from other Union and Middlesex County towns and cities that participate in MURAL may register their non-resident card that is valid for one year. To register an out-of-town card, proper home identification is required as well as confirmation from the individual’s home library that the patron holds a valid library card in good standing. Each year, these cards must be renewed by confirming home library status. Since some libraries have different hours than Scotch Plains, there may be a waiting period if the home library is not available to confirm status and accept responsibility for the patron. In this case, every effort will be made to hold materials desired until the proper credentials can be issued.
- Non-residents may opt to purchase a Scotch Plains Public Library card which will be valid for one year. The cost of the card is established by the Library Board of Trustees. When purchased, only one card shall be issued to the purchaser. In no case shall multiple cards be issued, and duplicate cards shall not be issued to other members of the purchaser’s family. Such a card will entitle the purchaser to the same borrowing privileges as a resident Scotch Plains Public Library cardholder. The 2022 fee for a paid membership is $90.00 per card.