- This event has passed.
Official U.S. Census Day (not a Library Event)
April 1 @ 9:00 am - 7:30 pm
The U.S. Census counts every resident in the United States. It is mandated by Article I, Section 2 of the Constitution and takes place every 10 years.
For the first time, you can respond to the census online.
Below is a timeline of how and when the Census Bureau will invite households to complete the 2020 Census questionnaire:
- March 12-20: Initial invitations to respond online and by phone will be delivered by the U.S. Postal Service. Areas that are less likely to respond online will receive a paper questionnaire along with the invitation to respond online or over the phone.
- March 16-24: Reminder letters will be delivered.
- March 26-April 3: Reminder postcards will be delivered to households that have not responded.
- April 8-16: Reminder letters and paper questionnaires will be delivered to remaining households that have not responded.
- April 20-27: Final reminder postcards will be delivered to households that have not yet responded before census takers follow up in person.
If a household does not respond to any of the invitations, a census taker will follow up in person sometime between May 13 and July 31.
- Setting the record straight and addressing rumors about confidentiality, citizenship, and more!