Come on Scotch Plains, Let’s Rock the Census!
Critical funding for our community and our voice in government are all at stake.
The U.S. Census counts every resident in the United States. It is mandated by Article I, Section 2 of the Constitution and takes place every 10 years. For the first time, you can respond to the census online.
Below is a timeline of how and when the Census Bureau will invite households to complete the 2020 Census questionnaire:
- March 12-20: Initial invitations to respond online and by phone will be delivered by the U.S. Postal Service. Areas that are less likely to respond online will receive a paper questionnaire along with the invitation to respond online or over the phone.
- March 16-24: Reminder letters will be delivered.
- March 26-April 3: Reminder postcards will be delivered to households that have not responded.
- April 8-16: Reminder letters and paper questionnaires will be delivered to remaining households that have not responded.
- April 20-27: Final reminder postcards will be delivered to households that have not yet responded before census takers follow up in person.
If a household does not respond to any of the invitations, a census taker will follow up in person sometime between May 13 and July 31.
- Setting the record straight and addressing rumors about confidentiality, citizenship, and more!