Have a huge collection of unwanted t-shirts that you’re not ready to part with? Check out this upcycle activity that you can do with your t-shirts using only a pair of scissors (and a marker) – 10 easy steps!
- 1 t-shirt
- 1 pair of scissors (need to be sharp enough to cut through cloth)
- 1 market (optional)
- 1 medium/large sized dish or bowl (optional)
TIP – If using a t-shirt with a logo on it, you’ll want it to be towards the middle of the t-shirt.
- Step 1 – Lay your t-shirt down on the floor or any flat surface.
- Step 2 – Take a look at your t-shirt and decide visually where your cut marks will go. If you have a logo, you may need to adjust where you cut.
- Sept 3 – Turn your t-shirt inside out and lay it back down on your flat surface. Flatten it out (does not need to be ironed).
- Step 4 – Using your scissors, cut off your sleeves (you want to cut just past the the thread marks). It is important that you only cut off the sleeves at this point.
- Step 5 – Using your dish, place your dish on top of the neck hole. Move it down so you have a half of a circle on your t-shirt and the other half on your surface. Using your marker, draw the half circle. You can also eyeball this part as well if you’d like.
- Step 6 – Measure 3 inches from the bottom of your t-shirt (or half of your hand). Mark with your marker where this is.
- Step 7 – Cut out 1.5 to 2 inch strips from the bottom of your t-shirt up to your indicator line. Make sure you cut your end pieces so that the front and back are separated.
- Step 8 – Make sure the strips are laying flat (you may need to re-smooth out your t-shirt).
- Step 9 See how each strip has a strip underneath it? Tie those together. Do this all the way across and then double knot each one.
- Step 10 – Fold your bag inside right – and you’re done!