Download the Bertha Curran Meeting Room Usage Application.
PROCEDURES AND REGULATIONS FOR USE OF BERTHA CURRAN MEETING ROOM
The primary purpose of the Scotch Plains Public Library’s meeting room is to support library programs and activities. Therefore, library and library sponsored programs take precedence over all other activities in the scheduling of its meeting room space. The Scotch Plains Public Library reserves the right to prioritize meeting room use based on the following criteria:
- Library meetings or Library sponsored programs.
- Scotch Plains Township official meetings (including Scotch Plains Fanwood Public School related meetings), Union County, State, or Federal official meetings.
- Non-profit community organizations based in Scotch Plains.
- Use of the room by other groups and organizations may be considered on a case-by-case basis considering the value of the event to the Scotch Plains community.
The meeting room is not available to organizations based outside of Scotch Plains, commercial enterprises, or for private social functions. In addition, it may not be used for political or religious meetings.
Reservation of the Meeting Room
Applications for use of the meeting room must be submitted at least thirty days in advance of the date requested and must be reserved by an adult Scotch Plains cardholder in good standing.
Space cannot be reserved more than 3 months in advance and no groups are permitted to use the meeting room on a continuing basis for regularly scheduled meetings.
The Library reserves the right to approve or reject request for meeting room use based on the availability of space and whether the proposed usage complies with the regulations set forth in this policy.
Download the Application for Use of the Meeting Room here or request a copy in person at the Library’s circulation desk. Applications must be submitted to the Administration office in person, by fax at 908-322-7592, or via email at [email protected]. Dates cannot be reserved by phone.
The library reserves the right to prohibit or terminate use of the premises at any time if the conduct of the group interferes with staff work or patron use of the library, is disruptive to library service or patrons, or is abusive or dangerous to the building, library materials, exhibits, furnishings, or individuals in the building.
In the event that the Library should close due to a weather or other emergency, every effort will be made to notify the booking group in a timely manner. The Library shall bear no responsibility for any associated program costs incurred by the booking group.
Fees for the Use of the Meeting Room
Meeting room fees will not be charged to Library or Governmental organizations. Donations to the Library Gift Fund in lieu of any fees are graciously accepted.
Hours of Use
The meeting room is available for use during regular library hours. All meetings must end 30 minutes before library closing time to allow cleanup and exit before the library is locked.
Set-up of the meeting room will be done by library personnel prior to the event. The library will not open prior to its normal hours of operation for room set-up.
Additional Rules for Use of Meeting Room
The following additional rules apply when using the Library’s meeting room:
- All meetings scheduled in the Library must be open to the general public. Groups may not charge admission fees for a meeting room event. Promotions or sales of services, products, merchandise, materials, or other items are prohibited.
- The meeting room is to be used for the stated purpose on the Usage Agreement only.
- Fundraising is prohibited, except for the benefit of the Scotch Plains Public Library or the Friends of the Scotch Plains Public Library.
- Selling of articles or pieces of artwork is not permitted.
- Authors and musicians are permitted to offer their books or CDs for sale after a speaking engagement or performance.
- If the room is to be used by minors, the application must be made by an adult who will attend the meeting and be responsible for the conduct of those present.
- A representative from the group must both sign in at the circulation desk and sign out when leaving recording the actual number of attendees.
- Light refreshments may be served with prior approval. A refundable custodial fee of $50.00 applies when bringing food into the meeting room. Groups must provide their own supplies and are responsible for cleaning up the room when finished. Kitchen facilities are not available and storage for food cannot be provided.
- Areas designated as staff lounges are for the use of Library staff only.
- Tobacco, alcohol, and games of chance are prohibited.
- Groups may not hang signs, posters, displays, or other decorations in the meeting room.
- The sponsoring group or individual making application for use of the meeting room assumes all responsibility for damage to library property and for leaving the premises in the condition in which it was found. This includes the arrangement of furnishings and the cleanup of trash.
- The Library is not obligated to lend Library equipment. The meeting room has built-in A/V equipment and free wireless Internet. A group may bring its own laptop to connect to our video equipment. Please notify us in advance of any needs and to arrange for an introduction to the Library’s A/V equipment.
- Groups must provide their own supplies such as pencils, paper, easels, etc. Supplies cannot be stored on premises.
- Any publicity referring to an event by a non-Library group should clearly designate the sponsoring organization and explicitly state that the Scotch Plains Public Library does not endorse the policies, beliefs, or activities of the sponsoring organization.
- All incorporated groups wishing to use the Meeting Room must have liability insurance to cover their meeting.
Permission to use the meeting room does not imply Library endorsement of the goals, policies, or activities of any group or organization.
The Library is not responsible for loss or damage of equipment, supplies, materials, or any personal property owned by those sponsoring or attending meetings at the Library.
Adopted October 7, 2015