The Scotch Plains Public Library offers Notary Service free of charge for the benefit of the community. The following guidelines will be followed in the provision of Notary Services:
- The service is based on the availability of the Notary.
- Please call ahead to ensure the Notary is available. Service may not be available during all library hours.
- Valid photo identification is required of any person seeking Notary service.
- Notary service is limited to three documents per person per day.
- Documents in any language other than English will NOT be notarized at the library.
- In accordance with New Jersey law, Notaries are not permitted to make use of a translator to communicate with a person seeking notarization.
- The Notary may, at his/her sole discretion, decline to provide Notary service.
- Notary service is not available for deeds, wills, living wills, living trusts, codicils, depositions, adoptions, mortgages, or other real estate closing documents.
- The library will not provide witnesses and witnesses may not be solicited from patrons using the library. In order to serve as a witness, the witness must personally know the person whose document is being notarized and must provide valid photo identification.