LIBRARY RULES OF CONDUCT AND USE
The Scotch Plains Library believes all customers have the right to use library services and materials safely and freely, in a comfortable and welcoming atmosphere. With these rights come responsibility for actions and conduct that respects the rights of other library patrons.
1. All persons are welcome in the library. Children under the age of ten must be under the direct supervision of a person over the age of thirteen at all times. This caregiver should monitor all activities and behavior of their children while they are in the building.
2. Please respect the rights of others to quietly study, read or work without interference. Please maintain low noise levels. Any listening devices should not be audible to anyone but the user.
3. Please turn all cell phones to silent alarm when inside the Library building. If you wish to make or take a call, we ask that you step outside the building. Library telephones are for staff use only.
4. While welcoming the use of the Library and its property, we request that all furniture be used as intended, rather than as a lounging area.
5. For safety and health reasons, shoes must be worn by all, and patrons are requested to wear appropriate street clothing.
6. Public restrooms are not appropriate locations for shaving, bathing, laundry or gathering spots.
7. Standards of personal hygiene are required to conform to community standards for public places. Persons whose bodily hygiene causes others to complain may be asked to leave.
8. Only assistive animals are permitted within the building.
9. Bicycling, skateboarding and roller-skating on Library property are a safety hazard to other patrons. Please carry skateboards and roller blades while on Library property.
10. Patrons may be asked to leave the library for abusive, threatening or obscene language or behavior. Weapons, alcohol, illegal substances and tobacco use are also prohibited.
11. Patrons are not allowed to solicit, petition, canvass or sell anywhere on library property.
12. The Library is not responsible for personal property left unattended. Personal items left by patrons who are not present on Library property are subject to disposal.
13. Food and drink are not allowed on the Main Floor of the library.
14. Damage or destruction of library property is a crime and will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
Approved May15, 2003