You can vote for your favorite books on the list every day until October 18. Click here for all the details!
We invite you to join us as we participate in The Great American Read!
- Start by taking the quiz to see how many you’ve read from the List of 100. Try out some you haven’t read yet – you may discover a few new favorites.
- Books and printed copies of the list are available at the library. Titles are also available as ebooks and eaudiobooks using Libby or RBdigital.
- As long as you’re checking out our library display, use one of our paper ballots to vote for all your favorites so we can tally up the Great Scotch Plains Read!
- Want to connect with us online? Join our Facebook group: Scotch Plains Public Library’s Great American Read.
- Our Friday Films at Noon in September and October will all be based on novels from The Great American Read!
- Attend one of our The Great American Read episode discussions (after watching the episode on PBS):
- Who Am I? – Watch on Tuesday, September 18 at 8pm and we’ll discuss it on Friday, September 21 at 10am.
- Heroes – Watch on Tuesday, September 25 at 8pm and we’ll discuss on Thursday, September 27 at 7pm.
- Villains & Monsters – Watch on Tuesday, October 2 at 8pm and we’ll discuss on Wednesday, October 3 at 6:30pm.
- What We Do For Love – Watch on Tuesday, October 9 at 8pm and we’ll discuss on Thursday, October 11 at 7pm.
- Other Worlds – Watch on Tuesday, October 16 at 8pm and we’ll discuss on Thursday, October 18 at 10am.
- Finale – Watch on Tuesday, October 23 at 8pm and we’ll discuss on Thursday, October 25 at 7pm.
- Ever judge a book by its cover? Learn about the art of Book Cover Illustration with NJCU artists Stephen Gardner, Dennis Dittrich, and Mo Buckey on Thursday, October 18 at 7pm.
- How are your book smarts? Play by yourself or bring a team to The Great American Read Trivia Night on Monday, November 5 at 7pm.
- We close our TGAR series with How We See Ourselves in What We Read on Wednesday, November 28 at 6:30pm. Dr. Laura Nicosia of Montclair State University will discuss how exposure to diverse books impacts the development of critical thinking skills and empathy. This program is also funded by the New Jersey Council for the Humanities.
Scotch Plains Public Library is one of 50 libraries nationwide to receive a grant from the American Library Association (ALA) and PBS to host special programs this summer and fall around the new interactive series from PBS: The Great American Read.
Based on a national survey, PBS compiled a list of 100 diverse novels that Americans love, and is following it up with a special series designed to spark a national conversation about reading and the books that have inspired, moved, and shaped us. After reading, discussing, and voting, one book will named as America’s favorite novel!
See the Parade magazine feature on the Great American Read!
Programming for The Great American Read is offered as part of a grant from the American Library Association and PBS.