Scotch Plains Public Library is proud to announce that we are one of just 50 libraries nationwide to receive a grant from the American Library Association (ALA) and PBS to host special programs this summer and fall around the new interactive series from PBS: The Great American Read.
Based on a national survey, PBS has compiled a list of 100 diverse novels that Americans love, and is following it up with a special series designed to spark a national conversation about reading and the books that have inspired, moved, and shaped us. After reading, discussing, and voting, one book will named as America’s favorite novel!
We invite you to join us as we participate in The Great American Read!
- Start by taking the quiz to see how many you’ve read from the List of 100. Try out some you haven’t read yet – you may discover a few new favorites. Books and printed copies of the list are available at the library.
- Register for our Great American Read reading program to keep track of the books you’ve read and submit reviews to share with others!
Plan to join us for any or all of these events:
- On Tuesday, May 22 at 8pm, tune in to PBS as they uncover details about the books on the list, their authors, and the people who love to read them. At this point, you can start voting for your favorites.
- On Thursday, May 24 at 7pm we will host a Great American Read Kickoff Celebration! Come share your thoughts about the PBS debut episode and which books made (or didn’t make) the list. Light refreshments will be served, and our button maker will be out for anyone who’d like to use it to show their Great American Read flair.
- On Friday, June 15 at 10am, create a personalized Great American Read Notebook to keep track of your reading and thoughts!
- On Thursday, June 28 at 10am, meet with Library staff and fellow readers at our Bagels & Books event. If you’re working through The Great American Read list, it’s a great opportunity to share your thoughts about what you’ve discovered.
- On Saturday, July 7, adults will have another chance to drop by the Reference Desk and create a Great American Read Notebook, 10am – noon and 2pm – 4pm, while supplies last. No registration needed.
- On Thursday, August 2, we will show the PBS debut episode of The Great American Read, for anyone who missed it or who just wants to watch it with others. A short discussion will follow.
- After a summer of reading, voting, and sharing your thoughts online and in our community, PBS will air 7 additional episodes starting September 11: a recap of the May episode, 5 new documentaries that highlight the themes of the books on the list, and the October 23 live Grand Finale.
See the Parade magazine feature on the Great American Read!
Programming for The Great American Read is offered as part of a grant from the American Library Association and PBS.